Thursday, May 28, 2015

What is a Bioethicist?


The lights flicker. I hear the squeak of the sneakers rushing by me. I smell fear, joy, hope, and agony all around me and this all sends chill up my spine like ants running through my back. Blue, white, yellow, brown, and a dash of red. Why those colors? Are they meant for me to feel better or to not feel them at all? Whispers seem to dominate this place and it just makes it all the worse. So here I am in a chair. Nothing special. I'm visiting a friend who just had a baby hoping it all went well. That is until I see a person talking to another person. Huh? I hear a shout in the distant, an echo filling the white walls of this building. The person who seems to have had a rough night looks like its day isn't getting any better. The other person tries to calm him down whispering some endless hope I assume. But this person doesn't seem to be a relative, but more like a doctor. But then why does it seem that they are discussing something, because as far as I know doctors tell the news, good or bad, and leave them be with their feelings. I didn't know the answer until I saw the person’s ID tag while he passed by me. It said "Bioethicist." 

What is a bioethicist? 
A bioethicist is a person who deals with moral or ethical issues that is brought up by medical or law issues. It could also be a member of a hospital staff and function as a clinical consultant. They can determine the capacity/competency, decide on end-of-life planning, medical futility, or assist families in making decisions regarding withdrawal of life support.

For example take in mind my story in the beginning. After I searched and figured out what a bioethicist is I then tried to see where he went. Luck had had it that he wasn't that far from his last location. With sweat in my palms and feeling heavier than before I approached the man and tried to make myself invisible but close enough for neither the person waiting or the bioethicist to suspect my presence. 
"What do you mean?" the man with the worried face said.
"Your mother is very ill, and seems to not go any farther," explained the bioethicist. But I couldn't stop listening. I knew I should have left. This is no business of mine, but I wanted to figure out what would happen next. What would they both do.
"Are you saying I should cut the cord Doc?"
"In situations like these, sadly yes, it is best to make that decision."
He then went to explain further information to what I could not understand, but to my understanding he was just informing how it would all go down and he explained the possible situations he could take for his mother.

Who should become a bioethicist?
This profession would not just be a job, but a way to help others who need advice. To pursue this career would it help reach out to those who are dealing with difficult times and need someone to go to. This works well to those who are good at giving device. Being a bioethicist career path could help satisfy the need to help others in ways that can really help their life altering decisions.

To have the opportunity to work in this job seems like a opportunity to pursue a spiritual life with a day to day life. Incorporating beliefs and helping others who share the same values of life. This may come with bumps in the road (isn't there always?) but If someone is willing to take a chance and actually give it a go to successfully become a bioethicist I'm sure it will all be worth it.

How does a person become a bioethicist?
When trying to pursue the career of being a bioethicist it is necessary to take the class of bioethics which is the study and investigation of medical and scientifically new decisions that are being made. This is very important to consider because it covers of what a bioethicist is. Now this can be broken down to types of work one can study and practice:  research programs, advisory/ consultant roles, community roles, academic training, and policy writers. All of which are very different, but cover about the same subject but in different forms.

Why should we need a bioethicist?
Some people may ask why we need bioethicist. The answer is we must take in the consideration of those who have an opinion over certain topics. Whether it's abortion, cloning, or putting someone down. All of these topics are very intense and fragile. To act or do something to this subject can very much impact a life forever, whether it is good or bad. This career choice is necessary to those who may have doubts, concern, or questions of the action that they may do.

What does a career as a bioethicist look like?
A bioethicist can earn a different salary, depending on what job you work in since being a bioethicist isn't a independent field. You can earn less than $50,000 or up to $150,000 a year. Some of the schools to provide this career will be UT Southwestern, UTA, and UNT. 
A specific career choice that is simpler to what a bioethicist is would be the consultant role. To acquire this role you must have a background in law or philosophy and do some ethics training. According to Cedars-Sinai.edu a medical ethics is, "The primary purpose of the CECS is to promote and enable morally appropriate and effective decision-making by those primarily involved in patient care situations." This is helping making big decisions for life changing situations at times. 
As I walk out of this building who holds both life and death in its room. I walk out with some
confidence about my future, because I think I now know what i have in store for myself. And maybe one day, just maybe, a kid will see what I do and consider this career as a job they want to pursue.

16 comments:

  1. Throughout this piece you use great imagery and you return back to your narrative intro. I thought that was pretty effective on helping understand what a bioethicist and how to become a bioethicist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thats a lot of information! Good job on explaining what a bioethicist is. Before you read this, I had no clue on what this was but now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The imagery on this project was strong, also the topic was explained fairly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know what a bioethicist was, so this was very informative and opened up career options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your ending ties back with how you got inspired by this job occupation. I had never heard of a bioethicist before! -Laura Lopez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what a bioethicist was until now! I enjoyed learning about what this job is and why we need these in our communities. -Jasmine Vazquez

      Delete
  6. You've done an effective job at explaining to the reader about your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This informative piece explained what a Bioethicist is. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a really great job of educating us on what a bioethicist is because I really had no idea what a bioethicist was before this. I also love how you used a narrative while also informing us about the profession. That was really creative. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved how you started your writing, I like the variety of narrative and informative in your writing. I really enjoy your writing and you have a talent in capturing a readers attention. Good Job and I hale you continue to write such wonderful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We learned about what a bioethicist is and we weren't aware that there were jobs that help people decide important medical issues.
    -Celica and guillermo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it was very informative, I found you going back and fourth was effective on the behalf of how your experience was.

    Gabby Hinojosa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before this piece i didn't know what a bioethicist was . You were able to describe the career choice and the day of the professional well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea there was a career like that, it sounds really interesting and you explained everything that was needed to be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe that the career you chose is interesting and gave us all the information needed to know all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great topic. Now I understand what a bioethicist really is. good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete